Cambodia anti-human trafficking efforts criticised in US report
Phnom Penh. The US Department of State downgraded Cambodia in its annual report on human trafficking Wednesday, and said Phnom Penh’s reported efforts to combat trafficking had slowed from the previous year.
THIS REPORT IS ENGLISH ONLY – GERMAN here …
Corruption among law enforcement officials and a lack of adequate protection for women, men, and children who were trafficked for sex or forced labour contributed to a „climate of impunity“ for traffickers and a denial of justice to victims, the report said.
“Cambodia is moving in a downward direction,” Luis CdeBaca, the coordinator of US trafficking policy, told Radio Free Asia.
Human trafficking report sees further decline
The report downgraded Cambodia from Tier 2 to the Tier 2 Watch List. A further decline would put Cambodia on the blacklist for countries that do not meet minimum standards and are not making significant efforts to do so.
„However, our current priority is the country’s economic growth,“ he said.
Author | Sarah Thust
Last Update | 20.06.2013
Licensed | dpa – German news agency
About dpa – German press agency
The Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa is a German news agency founded in 1949. Based in Hamburg, it has grown to be a major worldwide operation serving print media, radio, television, online, mobile phones, and national news agencies. News is available in German, English, Spanish, and Arabic.
Diese Website verwendet Akismet, um Spam zu reduzieren. Erfahre mehr darüber, wie deine Kommentardaten verarbeitet werden.
- Party auf Mallorca: Nein, diese Medienberichte sind nicht erfunden 22. Juli 2020
- Sam Rainsy: European banks implicated in microcredit scandal | Covering Cambodia 8. Juli 2020
- Millionen Heuschrecken fallen über Ostafrika her – trotz der Insektizide 6. Juli 2020
- Facebook sperrt Donald Trump-Post mit Nazi-Symbol 18. Juni 2020
- Corona-Ausbruch bei Tönnies – Schulen und Kitas müssen schließen 17. Juni 2020